Submissions are now open for UFO7. A brief reminder of the common problems in the slush pile:
* We’re looking for humorous stories. If you send us a Hugo-worthy horror/drama/whatever story that isn’t humor you’re wasting your time and ours, because even if we love it a lot, we can’t use/buy it.
* One submission per author, unless you’ve been explicitly and directly invited to send another.
* The word count range we’re looking for is 500 to 5000 words. Not 250. Not 5500. If you’re off by more than a handful of words, we won’t appreciate that.
* Don’t go for the low-hanging fruit. In any given year there will be a dozen deal-with-the-devil stories, another dozen fairy tale retellings, and a brainless amount of zombie stories. Not that we will never buy those themes — we’ve published a little bit of each — but you’ll improve your odds a lot by sending us something original and surprising.
* We’re not the right market for stories written mostly to showcase how much you hate Donald Trump, Hilary Clinton, or anyone in-between. You’re welcome to take pot shots at either, but if those pot shots are the main point of your story, we aren’t interested.
* We’re especially interested in translations as well as submissions from authors for whom English isn’t their native language. We love seeing stories from previously unpublished authors. We welcome submissions from writers of all genders and backgrounds. Ultimately though, no matter who you are, all we really care about is how good and funny the story you sent us is.
With all that in mind, send your stories here: