I’ll be at PhilCon this weekend, participating on a variety of panels. I’ll also have a reading and a signing. This is my schedule:
- Fri 7:00 PM in Crystal Ballroom Three—“Ender’s Game”: The Book versus The Movie (1504)Just one week before Philcon 2013, Hollywood finally released a film version of the classic SF novel “Ender’s Game”. How did the movie differ from the book. Were the changes necessary, or did they change the tone and theme of the story? Did they do it right?
Andrew C. Murphy (mod), Andrew Breslin, Alex Shvartsman, Tim Souder
- Sat 11:00 AM in Autograph Table—Autograph: Neil Clarke, Alex Shvartsman (1671)
Neil Clarke (mod), Alex Shvartsman
- Sat 1:00 PM in Plaza III (Three)—Editing Anthologies: Beyond the Gimmick (1499)Anthologies are often sold on the basis of a gimmick or concept that connects the stories, such as “Killer Rutabagas from Space”. How do you get beyond the gimmick to a work of substance?
Elektra Hammond (mod), Brian Koscienski, Alex Shvartsman, Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Sat 6:00 PM in Crystal Ballroom Two—Becoming a Full Time Writer (1496)How do you become a full time writer? Is that a good idea for you?
Alyce Wilson (mod), Alex Shvartsman, David Sklar, D.L. Carter, Thomas Willeford
- Sun 11:00 AM in Executive Suite 623—Reading: Alex Shvartsman (1664)
Alex Shvartsman (mod)
- Sun 2:00 PM in Crystal Ballroom Two—Meet the Editors Panel (1535)Magazine and book editors discuss the current fiction markets.
Marvin Kaye (mod), Danielle Ackley-McPhail, Alex Shvartsman, Ian Randal Strock, Neal Levin, April Grey